12.21.2011

Christmas Fave #9- My Junk Drawer

Hi everyone! My name is Kristen and I blog over at My Junk Drawer. I am so excited to be a guest today. Thank you for having me! This year my friend Tasha (from Creation Corner) and I are making nativity ornaments for our Church's Christmas Relief Society Program. Our theme is centered around the nativity, so we are making one of these ornaments for each sister in our ward. They really are so pretty but so simple. I hope you all decide to make one for your tree. These would make awesome gifts for neighbors or for loved ones! I am also panning on making a bigger version to put on my shelf.






Supplies Needed: 
  • Wooden People: For Joseph: a 2 3/8" man, for Mary: a 2" girl and for baby Jesus we used a 1" square with a 3/8" round ball (you can buy these at Micheals (or any craft store) or if you'd like to buy in bulk for cheaper you buy them here like we did)
  • Paint 
  • Wood Glue
  • Jewt
  • Raffia

Step One: Paint your people. We used a cream for the heads, brown for Joseph's body and red for Mary's body.



Step Two: Paint the squares white and the balls cream, these make baby Jesus in this bed. (sorry I don't have a picture of the balls, but you see will them next)




Step Three: Using wood glue, glue the 2 bodies together, then Jesus on the front of them (see picture below).



Step Four: Tie a strand of raffia around the middle.



Step Five: Glue a strand of jewt (or ribbon) in a loop to the back. And VOILA! Your very own nativity ornament.



 I hope you enjoy making one or two or even 50 like we did! If you have any questions at all you can email me at myjunkdrawer@live.com.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kristen, those are so amazing! 
I totally want to make some!!

Make sure to visit Kristen's blog soon. 
You'll be glad you did!

2 comments:

  1. I ordered the wood parts online to make the nativity ornament and sadly the squares are way too big! I ordered 1 1/2" squares. They are too big - I think you should measure on the ornament and fix on your directions - I ordered these online and now I am not sure how to fix this :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did the same thing. So bummed. I think I'm just going to go to a craft store and buy new squares. I'll have to figure out something to do with 1 1/2" squares....

    I think they should be 1" squares.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails