8.23.2011

DIY jewelry holder {trash to treasure}

A couple weekends ago, my husband put new flooring in our room. He replaced the old carpet with laminate. We also rearranged the furniture and moved some furniture out. There are still a couple more things to be done, but I am loving the changes!


Last week I shared this project I made for our room. Today I get to share my other project for the room..... a jewelry holder made by moi!






I have had my eye on some of the jewelry stands from Urban Outfitters for a while. But they are $35-40 each, none of them was exactly what I wanted, and it would have taken up room on my dresser and be easier for my kids to get at.


We have a few cabinet doors in our basement that were going to be thrown away from my husband's work- all in decent shape and some were even made from nice wood. It would have been a waste to toss 'em all. So I took one of them to make this project...


I had taken some other pictures as I made this project and I strongly suspect that my 3 year old, who is always using the camera to take random photos, may have erased some pictures. Oh well.



I had taped it off so only the frame would be white, but when it was all done, it was just bor-ing!



So I decided to break out the Mod Podge and add a cute pattern to the back. I used some pretty white & green wrapping paper!



And I was pretty pleased with the result...




I have 2 jewelry boxes that are full, so these costume jewelry necklaces never had a home until now. It's so nice that they won't be tangled in a drawer anymore!






cabinet door- free!

paint- already had

wrapping paper- $4.99, but I just used a small piece of the roll

Mod Podge- already had

knobs- $3.49 each from Rona



grand total: $15.46



25 comments:

  1. I just made one of these using a frame but I love the way yours came out!
    http://photographernaturally.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your idea..I do things like this. I once took an old window screen and popped out the old screen and put in a new screen. I then used it to hold all my ear rings

    I took a Picture frame once for my granddaughter and took off the back. Painted the frame to match her room decor and hot glued strips of ribbon on to back of the frame working from top to bottom. She now has a place to hang her hair clips. I also used ribbon to hang the frame on her wall.

    I get so much inspiration by visiting these blogs. Ladies you all have Talent.
    Thanks

    Chris
    http://turnedgypsy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO CUTE!!! I never would have thought of using wrapping paper! I so need to make one of these. Thanks SO much for sharing!

    Natalie
    NatSprat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great idea - I love it! I'm featuring on FB today. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it, I definitely need to try making one of these! New follower from the trendy treehouse link party!

    Brie from darlingdoodles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it and I have been wanting to make something to hold my jewelry for a while now. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, very nice! Thank you for sharing! Would make a cute gift for a teen girl!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pretty! I love the wrapping paper and knobs you chose!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very creative. That is very useful. I will have to try this I have a lot of jewelry all tangled at the bottom drawer of my dresser.New follower from The Creative bloggers hop. Hope you stop by for a visit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is adorable...my jewelry is in a pile in my bathroom. My chunky necklaces won't even fit in a traditional jewelry box. This would be perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sarah, I LOVE this! I was just organizing my jewelry this morning and thinking that I needed something "pretty" to organize it on! I'm going to feature this next week on Thrifty Thursday and also pin it so that I can make myself one....I have an old restore cabinet door already! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a great idea! I am always looking for new jewelry solution to share with my readers. Hope you will post and share on my link party : Coffee & Conversation Thursday -- http://www.withashotofbrandy.com/posts/coffee-conversation-thursday/

    ReplyDelete
  13. what a cute way to hang your necklaces!!! I love it! I hope you will link up with me here:
    http://www.thegingerbreadblog.com/2011/08/sweet-saturday-v2.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great idea! That looks really nice!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Please know how much I appreciate you linking up at the Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop :) Hope you'll continually share your creativity with us during the weekly party.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is adorable and functional! I love it.


    ~ Meredith From A Mother Seeking
    http://www.amotherseeking.com

    A Mother Seeking...



    P.S. Found you through M.M.M.
    This week on A Mother Seeking: I Created A Birdhouse Dream House

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello, there! I'm popping over from Thrifty Thursday #24 and your necklace holder caught my eye immediately. Such a great idea! I recently used a cabinet door to make a serving tray (just added handles), and am planning to make a sign out of another door. There are so many things these babies can be used for!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love it! I'll be making one for my daughter in her dorm. Thank you for sharing.
    www.projectqueen.org

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm in love with this! Great job. Just want to let you know I'll be featuring this on Sew Woodsy next week. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love Love Love! I totally have been needing to make something like this! I'm impressed with the number of necklaces you have even with small children. Some of mine have been broken thanks to my son.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love this! You did a great job! Thanks for linking up to my Shabby Shares link party :)
    Renee @ http://rustic-crafts.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Genius! I would've never though to use wrapping paper, but it looks amazing. Thanks for auditioning for American Crafter!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Very pretty. What a great way to recycle an old cabinet door. I picked up an old cabinet door at habitat for humanity and I was going to make a chalk board with it. But I really like this. Hmm what to do. I know I'll just go get another door and make both. (-;

    Sharing on FB, twitter and google+

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails